Joydeep Roy, is a known name in not only the Kolkata designing circuit, but pan-India as well. He burst into the designing scene in the year 2013 And since then hasn’t really looked back.
Joydeep lived up to the saying,” that details are not the details, they make the design”; and went on to start Coloroso, a niche handloom saree store which immediately brings to mind a burst of colours, a meaning and an exclusivity all its own.
Joydeep left a high paying job and went on to chase his dreams, encouraged by his wife – a different and a colourful dream!
It’s not every day, that we come across such bravehearts, who can to chase a rainbow, leave an established career. We sat down for a tete-a-tete with Joydeep, and here’s an excerpt from the same.
- Were you always planning to bedeck gorgeous women? what were you doing prior to this Avatar?
Well… Prior to this Avatar, as you call it, I was a Salesman. Well, I still am to an extent, but then I was selling Dantmanjan! (I roll my eyes). It’s true, after graduating from Management School, I joined a FMCG Multinational Organisation and then later on went on to sell diesel, fuel, BFSI, Telecoms…. You name it. But while working with big brands, I realised that servility isn’t exactly my cup of tea, and Voila!
- When did you then decide to take a plunge?
As I said… It was more of an inspiration and a thought process that I wanted to create a brand and leave a routine job. I wanted to be a creator… wanted to create things, visions. I wanted to create A brand that would have a recall value and a brand that I can be proud about.
Products which can be sold off the shelf and products which would have the mystical alluring charm & grace of the six yards. And as I mentioned earlier, I just coined the term Coloroso… because I wanted my brand to have everything to do with colours…colours and more colours. Thus Coloroso.
- When did you exactly start out?
It was precisely on the 10th of August 2013
- In this journey, there must have been numerous highs, but what comes to your mind right now, when we are talking?
There’s been lots and lots of memorable moments so far. Taking the decision to start something on my own was a major high only! Difficult to single out incidents, but one definite high would be Ms Vidya Balan dropping in at our store to pick up our sarees!
- Why do you think your aesthetics are different?
I firmly believe that my aesthetics are a little different cause I have tried to weave the six yards saga around the ethnicity of the Indian crafts only. I have explored the myriad and magical worlds of Benarasis, Chanderis, Linens. Its actually having a fusion of modern designs with the traditional Indian crafts; and which are completely hand-made, which makes them of limited editions and exclusive, to the truest sense of the term.
- If I were to ask you, that What’s that one song which is just on your mind right at this moment?
Pretty Woman! (Sees a whole lot of them, in his line of trade!!! We are certain)
- Who has been your design inspiration?
It cannot be anyone else other than Sabyasachi.
- In this chequered journey, what would you say is your personal quote?
Its fairly simple actually… “Life is a blink of an eye,so we must not ignore it. It’s precious”.
- If I were to ask you, that amidst this plethora of saree designers and stand-alone stores; what actually makes Coloroso and you ,different?
I would say, it’s our 4-pronged USP – Good Quality Fabrics, Unique Designs, Colours and last but no way the least, our Customer Services.
- Off lately Coloroso in association with New Lights, Kolkata has taken an endeavour to rehabilitate some women from the Red Lights Area. What prompted you to do that?
Not wanting to sound superfluous, or pompous; I wanted to give something back to the society. These 5 women, all want to change the course of their lives, and I felt, that if Coloroso and I could at least do something for them; then there would be nothing better.
So, we have created and assigned a line of Benarasis on each and featured them too in those sarees. A part of the proceeds from the sale of those sarees will go to these girls, whom New Lights will help to charter a different life path. Frankly, it’s been one of those fulfilling things that one does in life. I’m glad I got associated with this project that we are calling Lavanyashakti.
- What are your plans for the future? Where do you retail from?
We want to be present in all the major cities in India by the end of 2018. Currently we are available in Collage Shop in Bangalore and Amethyst in Chennai.
- Just a couple of very personal question….
- What are the books in your bookshelf right now?
I just read Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Cookland… Then the one by Murakami- Men without Women
- How do you relax, at the end of a taxing day?
I read… listen to a lot of music and cuddle up with Oliver, my dashing golden retriever.
- How has life been?
Life’s been good. Touchwood. My wife Aparne, has been an immense pillar of support. My son, Aneek is in 1st year and is one my buddies! So, I am living, loving and having a lust for life.
9,254 total views, 56 views today